I intend to restrict myself to only using the female characters.
Setting up the Game
Right at the start, I was presented with a dilemma. At the beginning of a game of Fire Emblem, the player provides a bunch of data which results in them being assigned to one of seven affinities. Characters of the same affinity gain a small but nontrivial bonus to their accuracy and evasion. Such was the decision I was faced with: Should I report my data honestly? Should I maximize the number of units who benefit from this? Should I make sure Rebecca benefits from this?
|Birth Months||Affinity||Benefacting Units|
|Mar, May||Wind||Lyn, Priscilla, Fiora|
|Apr, Oct, Dec||Lightning||Serra|
|Jul, Sep||Fire||Rebecca, Nino, Vaida|
Well, as it turned out, all of those are provided by my actual birth month (September), so it ended up being a nonissue.
The Rules of the Game
As I've seen several different sets of rules for this challenge, I will list the ones that I intend to use:
- When possible, Male Units should not even be brought into the battlefield.
- Nils counts as a Male Unit when he is Nils, but not when he is Ninian.
- Only Female Characters may be used in any sense that makes the game easier. This includes not using male characters as meatshields, bait, thieves, lock-openers, item-retrievers, etc.
- An exception to Rule#3 occurs when the game forces the player to perform a certain action as part of a tutorial. (ie. Kent and Sain killing a few enemies in the first chapter in which they appear)
- Unit recruitment can occur when at least one of the involved units is female. Thus, a female unit can recruit a male unit in order to gain the items he is carrying, or a male unit can recruit a female so she can take part in battle.
- In order to allow Karla to be recruited, Bartre may train in an arena to become lv.10, promote, then become lv.5. (This does not affect me, as I will be doing my playthrough on Elliot's path, where Karla is unrecruitable).